We can all become distracted by negative thoughts. When we are feeling vulnerable, these thoughts can seem overwhelming, and it can be hard to find a way through.
Simple mind exercises can help us to clear the fog. Even if it is just for a moment, this can offer the opportunity to regain control and see things more clearly. Here is one suggestion to help you:
1. Get a piece of paper and tear it up into strips.
2. On each strip, write down all your negative thoughts.
3. Get a box with a lid and put all the pieces of paper with the negative thoughts into the box.
4. Replace the lid and hide the box away.
5. Only get the box out if the negative thoughts start to haunt you again, and if this is the case, write down more negative thoughts and put those in the box.
Another quick tip is to try and remind yourself of what fun looked like. Write down or draw anything that springs to mind when you say 'I once had fun by...'. Try and visualise those fun moments, really reminding yourself of what it looked like, felt like, sounded like, what it tasted, and what it smelt like.
Let me know how you get on with this.
Chris Warren-Dickins BACP Registered Counsellor
Book a therapy consultation today
Psychotherapy ~ Counseling ~ Therapy
Ridgewood ~ Bergen County ~ NJ 07450